WHAT’S ON THE BURGER KING GLUTEN-FREE MENU?
Gluten-free fast food is hella tough to find! There is not a separate “Burger King Gluten-Free” menu listed on their website or in their restaurants. So, what does Burger King offer for the gluten-free population? Read on for what you can grab and go (unfortunately, their list is extremely limited).
The good news is that Burger King does list all allergen information on their website. They also provide the option to sort the menu via “allergen items not contained“.
Keep in mind that even though a product is shown as not containing wheat (one of the top eight allergens required to be identified due to FDA guidelines), that doesn’t always mean it is gluten-free. Let’s repeat that together – wheat-free does not mean gluten-free.
For example, if you only see the Allergen Menu, Burger King lists their french fries as wheat-free. But due to their lack of dedicated fryers, the fries are cross contaminated and unsafe for those with Celiac Disease, gluten intolerance, or non-Celiac gluten sensitivity. Burger King does provide this statement:
“Products fried in a shared fryer include but may not be limited to: Fish Filet, Pork Sausage, Crispy Chicken Patty, Chicken Nuggets, Original Chicken Patty, Spicy Original Chicken Patty, Hash Browns, French Fries, French Toast Sticks and Onion Rings. In Hawaii, Portuguese Sausage and Spam are also fried in a shared fryer.”
BK’S GLUTEN-FREE OPTIONS
To sum it up, there are only two options that are food. Everything else is drink or ice cream related:
- Food Items: Garden Salad, Mott’s Natural Applesauce
- Dessert Items:Vanilla Ice Cream (NO CONE), Hand Spun Shake (vanilla, chocolate, strawberry), Vanilla Shake Made With M&M’S, Hershey’s Chocolate Fudge Sundae
- Drink Items: Coffee (regular, iced, decaf), Milk (regular, fat free, low fat chocolate milk), Coke (regular & diet), Iced Tea, Sprite, Dr Pepper, Mello Yello, Minute Maid Lemonade, Capri Sun Apple Juice, Minute Maid Orange Juice, Nestlé Pure Life Purified Water
- Frozen Drink Items: Coke (frosted frozen and frozen), Frozen Fanta Cherry ICEE
- IMPORTANT: Keep in mind that the shakes above do not contain gluten. However, they are made on the same equipment as shakes with gluten ingredients (Oreo cookies). I recommend avoiding the drive thru and instead go inside and speak with a manager.
Always alert the manager to your “medical food allergy” – I find that this term helps servers understand. Ask them to use a clean mixing cup when preparing your shake. This will avoid cross contamination from the cookie shakes.
No matter where you eat out, it’s a risk. Unfortunately, many fast food restaurants and employees are not properly educated in the seriousness of food allergies. When in doubt, don’t chance getting glutened. Check out my other gluten-free fast food posts for the low down on other restaurants.
DOES BURGER KING HAVE A GLUTEN-FREE BUN?
No. Details here. You could order a burger without the bun as a “lettuce wrap”, but always speak to a manager before ordering. Be sure to ask if gluten containing items are grilled in the same area as hamburgers. Many restaurants use the grill to toast their buns.
WHERE DO YOU GRAB YOUR GLUTEN-FREE FAST FOOD?
I’d love to know if there is a fast food restaurant that you feel safe grabbing gluten-free food! Share with the Hold the Gluten community in the comments below.