Get hopping! Easter’s on its way!
Looking for an egg-cellent (and tasty) activity to make with young ones? I bake this adorable gluten-free Easter bunny cake each year with my kiddos. What a perfect finale to your egg hunt party or holiday meal!
Gluten-Free Easter Bunny Cake with Cream Cheese & Coconut Icing
2 (15-ounce) boxes of Betty Crocker Gluten-Free Yellow Cake Mix
2 sticks (1 cup) butter (softened)
4 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/3 cups water
3 containers of Betty Crocker Rich and Creamy Gluten-Free Cream Cheese Frosting
3 (14-ounce) bags of sweetened shredded coconut
Pink food coloring
Blue food coloring
Gluten-free jelly beans
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease bottoms and sides of two 9-inch round cake pans with butter or olive oil spray.
- In a large bowl, beat cake mixes, butter, vanilla, eggs, and water with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl occasionally. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour evenly into pans.
- Bake for approximately 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Place one cake in the center of the large platter for bunny’s head. Place other cake on cutting surface; cut two football-shaped pieces from each side of cake to use for ears. Place ears on top of bunny’s head. Place remaining piece under bunny’s head for the bow tie.
- Reserve 3 tablespoons frosting. Frost entire cake–except insides of ears–with remaining frosting. To reserved frosting, stir in 1 drop pink food color; frost insides of ears with pink frosting.
- In a small food-storage plastic bag, shake 1/2 cup of the coconut with 1 drop blue food color. Carefully sprinkle blue coconut over bunny’s bow tie.
- Sprinkle remaining (un-dyed) coconut all over bunny’s head and edges of ears, leaving centers of ears pink.
- Make whiskers, eyes, and mouth with jelly beans. Use gumdrops for the nose and bow tie buttons.
Baskets filled with (gluten-free) Easter joy!
Unsure what candy is safe and what is gluten-filled? Never fear! Before you fill those baskets with sweets, stop by my 2019 Gluten-Free Easter Candy List for a comprehensive listing of gluten-free candy.
From the Hold The Gluten family to yours, enjoy your Easter holiday!