Many years ago, I took up running as a "hobby". I literally hated the actual running part, but loved the t-shirts and shiny medals. My love/hate relationship started with a 5K and several years (and miles) later finished with a full 26.2 marathon. The exhilaration I felt as I crossed those finish lines totally overshadowed the painful shin splints. I also was stoked that I didn't poop my pants (apparently that happens during marathons and not just to Celiacs).
Whether you like to kick it old school with some Jane Fonda, sweat it up in a spin class, or simply put one foot in front of the other walking around your local park, it's important to have portable protein to help fuel your body. Being 100% gluten free and 99.9% vegetarian (bacon doesn't count), I make sure I have protein bars stored everywhere - the car, my purse, gym bag, etc. Keep in mind, not all protein bars are created equal and many have gluten as an ingredient, so it's important to do your homework and read those labels carefully.
Wondering what protein bars are gluten free and safe for those of us with Celiac disease, gluten sensitivity or intolerance? Read on for 20 super-powered bars that will feed your body with nutrients to keep you going throughout the day.
PS: Hey! Make yourself a priority, your health is important, so take care of YOU!
20 Gluten Free Protein Bars to Pump You Up!
- 1Bearded Brothers Whole Food Energy Bar - average of seven ingredients per bar, organic, non-GMO energy bars are gluten free, soy free and low glycemic.
- 2Caveman Foods Paleo-Friendly Nutrition Bar - peanut free, soy free, certified gluten free, and non-GMO. Vegan friendly.
- 3EPIC Bar - a meat, fruit, and nut bar is rich in protein, low in sugar, gluten free, grain free, and absent of both soy and dairy.
- 4FODY - all FODY items are both Low FODMAP and gluten free.
- 5Health Warrior - Health Warrior Chia Bars and Superfood Protein Bars are gluten, soy, and dairy free. 100% natural and 100% vegan. Non-GMO.
- 6Kind Bar - all KIND snacks are gluten free, non-GMO, and kosher.
- 7Know Better Bars - natural, non-GMO, grain/gluten-free, high protein, high fiber, low carb, low sodium and have a near zero glycemic index.
- 8Luna Protein Bar - the entire LUNA protein line is gluten free and low glycemic. Finished product is tested to ensure gluten free.
- 9NoGii No Gluten High Protein Bar - NoGii products are certified gluten free and all NoGii products are manufactured in a facility certified by the Gluten-Free Certification Organization (GFCO).
- 10NuGo Free Bar - gluten free and soy free. Certified vegan and OU kosher pareve.
- 11GFB Gluten Free Bar - all products are gluten free, soy free, non-GMO, vegan and kosher.
- 12GoMacro - MacroBars are vegan nutrition bars made from simple and clean ingredients. Certified organic, vegan, gluten free, kosher, non-GMO, R.A.W. and C.L.E.A.N.
- 13ONE Bar - certified gluten free, low glycemic and high protein.
- 14Paleo Protein Bar - 100% Paleo, gluten free, GMO free, grain free, high fiber, dairy free, whey free, no sugar alcohols and high-protein.
- 15Quest Nutrition Bars - all Quest Bars are gluten free, soy free and contain no added sugar.
- 16Raw Rev Glo - always 100% vegan, gluten free, non-GMO and kosher and free from preservatives, soy protein isolates, whey, grains and sugar alcohols.
- 17R.E.D.D. - vegan, gluten free, non-GMO and soy free.
- 18RXBAR - gluten free, dairy free, and soy free. No added sugar, artificial colors, artificial flavors, preservatives or fillers.
- 19SimplyProtein Whey Bar - all SimplyProtein snacks are gluten free and are manufactured in a gluten free environment to prevent cross-contamination. Non-GMO and kosher.
- 20thinkThin - all thinkThin bars have been gluten free since the company started. Non-GMO and kosher.
Looking for other high protein gluten free ideas? This tasty white bean hummus is my go-to snack that just so happens to be a great source of protein and fiber!
1 19-ounce can of white cannellini beans
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tablespoon minced garlic (I used roasted garlic)
Sea salt & pepper to taste
Using a colander, drain and rinse beans. Add all ingredients to a food processor. Blend until hummus is smooth and creamy. Serve with veggies, corn chips, or use in place of mayo on a sandwich!
Yield: 6 servings
What's your go-to gluten free protein bar?
Share with the Hold the Gluten community
in the comments below!