I (finally) made my pilgrimage to Trader Joe’s to re-stock my bare pantry full of gluten free goodness. While there, I picked up a package of TJ’s Gluten Free Pancake & Waffle Mix. Feeling all Betty Crocker (now that she’s gluten free!), I whipped up a batch of blueberry waffles to taste test.
- Uber-simple to make. Even those distracted by shiny things (ahem, guilty as charged!) will be able to add the three ingredients to the mix.
- Mix is free from gluten, peanut, milk & dairy, soy, and corn.
- Reasonably priced at $2.99 for 18-ounce package (makes 12 waffles or pancakes).
- The package is purple – my favorite color!
- The cooking instructions are for waffles OR pancakes using the entire contents of the mix. I wish they would offer instructions for 3, 6, or 12 waffles/pancakes. Of course, you could dump out the mixture, re-measure the contents and rework the recipe, but I am mathematically challenged, so this was not an option.
- The mix had a faint but slightly “off” odor (something I have found in many gluten free mixes).
- I found there to be a slight aftertaste to the waffles I prepared. It was a bit metallic tasting (not that I frequently lick metal objects, but this is the best way to describe the aftertaste).